Externships Leading To Employment Opportunities

Prism Student Externship
Prism Career Institute Medical Billing & Coding graduates Steven Hollis and Nichole Torrence flank Leonard Molin, Practice Manager, Stenton Avenue Medical & Rehab

Most accredited career schools offer externships as a part of the training program in certain fields of study. Externships allow the student to get valuable on-the-job type experience. The site sponsoring the externship can then evaluate each student’s performance and, often, extend an offer of employment at the completion of the externship and graduation.

Prism Career Institute offers externships in its medical program offerings. Students at Prism’s Northeast Phila. campus have participated in externships at Stenton Avenue Medical & Rehab since 2007. Leonard Molin, Practice Manager, has utilized the program to evaluate potential permanent employees. “The good Prism students who walk through the door have self motivation, want to learn, have excellent work ethic, do their work effectively and know how to prioritize, “ he said. “One student in particular, Steven Hollis, a Medical Billing & Coding extern, had the determination to become part of our team. I actually did not have a permanent opening at the end of Steven’s externship. However, I hired Steven as a medical biller and have never regretted my decision.”

Stephanie Joyner owns Limitless Home Care Providers on N. 5th St. She started her business as a mobile phlebotomy company and utilizes Prism’s medical externship program also. “I’ve hired 3 Prism graduates as permanent employees out of the externship program,” said Joyner. “The students come to work well prepared, know exactly how to execute the job from day one and I don’t have to retrain them. My company is growing and I will continue to place Prism as my top career school in securing employees.”

In addition to Northeast Phila., Prism Career Institute has locations in Cherry Hill & West Atlantic City, NJ. Employers interested in externships or hiring Prism graduates can contact Debby Miller at the Northeast Philadelphia.