Practical Nursing Admission Requirements in Philadelphia, Cherry Hill, and Egg Harbor Township
Practical nurses (PNs) carry out a variety of clinical, laboratory, personal care, and administrative tasks to care for patients. They typically work under the direction of physicians, registered nurses (RNs), and other healthcare professionals. Employed in settings like hospitals, senior care centers, clinics, and government agencies, PNs are in high demand across the United States, as healthcare providers everywhere continue to seek compassionate, qualified professionals.
The Practical Nursing program offered by Prism Career Institute can help you prepare for this rewarding career track. Before you apply online, ensure that you meet all the PN program requirements for admission to our Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and Egg Harbor Township, NJ campuses.
PN Program General Admission Requirements
Prospective students who wish to apply to our Practical Nursing career training program must first meet Prism Career Institute’s general requirements for admission. These include:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older to attend.
- Applicants must hold a high school diploma or equivalent certificate from an institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. In addition, applicants must be able to provide a copy of their high school diploma or equivalent certificate, a high school transcript, and/or written certification by a cognizant authority for home-schooled students.
- Applicants must be recommended to apply based on the satisfactory completion of an interview with a Prism Career Institute Admissions Representative.
ATI TEAS Exam
In addition to our general admissions requirements, prospective Practical Nursing students must also achieve a passing score on an entrance exam. Prism Career Institute administers the Assessment Institute of Technologies Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS) for all PN program students. Test scores remain valid for one year from the date of the exam, and applicants are provided with three attempts at the same version of the test. Minimum scores vary by location:
- Cherry Hill and Egg Harbor Township Campuses: Applicants must achieve a minimum score of 42 on the ATI TEAS Exam.
- Philadelphia Campus: Applicants must score a minimum of 45 on the ATI TEAS Exam, as well as meet minimum scores in each category (Reading: 46; Math: 43; Science: 30; English: 37).
After a first attempt, applicants may re-test after 48 hours. A third attempt may be made after 14 days.
Additional Program-Specific Criteria
Practical Nursing applicants should also be prepared to meet the following entrance requirements and mandatory fees:
- $20 for each attempt of the ATI TEAS admissions exam
- $35 for a drug screening
- $23 for a criminal background check
- $10 for a child abuse clearance, which must be submitted no later than the start of Term 2
Other Helpful Qualifications for the PN Program
Though not a requirement for admission, prospective Practical Nursing students may also possess skills and additional training that will benefit them in the long run. For instance, a background in providing compassionate customer service will translate well into the patient caretaker role our students prepare to take on. Plus, certain prerequisite courses and a certified nurse assistant (CNA) certification can help ease your transition into our curriculum.
Prism Career Institute is dedicated to helping future PNs become eligible to apply for the PA or NJ State Board of Nursing to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN). To learn more about our PN program requirements, contact a member of our admissions team today. If you meet these requirements and are ready to begin your studies, apply online now.